- 1/2 12 oz Jar roasted red peppers – Or you can roast your own
- 16-ounce cooked chickpeas, also called garbanzo beans (or 15oz Can)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, about 1 large lemon
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste (optional)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
Preparing the Hummus
In the food processor bowl, combine tahini and lemon juice. Process for 1 minute. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl then process for 30 seconds. This extra time helps “whip” or “cream” the tahini, making for a smooth and creamy hummus.
Add the olive oil, minced garlic, cumin, cayenne pepper and the salt to
whipped tahini and lemon juice. Process for 30 seconds, scrape sides and bottom of bowl then process another 30 seconds. Add half of the chickpeas, process for 1 minute. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl, add remaining chickpeas, process for 1 to 2 minutes or until thick and smooth.
Add peppers to hummus and continue to process for 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth.
If the hummus is too thick or still has tiny bits of chickpea after you have added the peppers, you can add 1 to 3 tablespoons of water while the processor is on, until the consistency is perfect.
Serve with carrots, celery, pita chips. You can also coat chicken breast & bake them in this. DELICIOUS!